As you know, soccer is a very demanding sport that requires agility, strength, flexibility, and endurance. If you want to play soccer, then you should have to know that warming up and cooling down with the right stretching exercises can have a lot of benefits no matter on what level of skill you are. Stretching is a highly crucial part of any athletic activity. If you want to warm up for your soccer match, there is a warm-up exercise that includes dynamic stretching allows that allow your muscles to warm up and get prepared for the physical activity. In this article, you will know 3 best stretching exercises for soccer players.
Best stretching exercises for soccer players
On another side, static stretching exercise is the best at the end of the workout, and it allows the muscles to move through the full area of motion when they are warm and relaxed. Doing these type of stretching moves at the right time can help you to reduce the risk of many common soccer injuries.
Hip Flexors and Psoas Muscles
Before doing these stretches exercise, you have to warm up to avoid any overstretching a cold muscle. Best ways to warm up include jumping jacks, side-stepping, skipping, running in place, or any other dynamic movements that mimic soccer game. Here are few steps to do this type of stretching exercise.
- You have to stand in a split stance with your right front forward, and your left foot should be straight back.
- Then bend your right knee, it has to be at about a 90-degree angle. This position should put you in a forward leap position. Place your hands on your onward knee.
- Now press down with your hands and drive the hips forward till you feel a stretch from the front of your hip side, groin and thigh on your left side.
- Hold the stretch for about 20-30 seconds, release and repeat on the second leg.
Standing Quad Stretch
A quadriceps are a group of muscles with the front of the thigh. This muscle group is recruited to expand the leg while straightening the knee and is the primary mover in stair climbing and cycling.
There are a lot of exercises to stretch your quadriceps, but here are some simple steps you can do while standing.
- You have to stand on one leg. Hold onto something substantial, in case you need any support, such as a wall or chair, for assistance.
- Now you have to curve your right knee and bring your heel toward your buttock.
- Then reach for your ankle with your opposite (left) hand.
- Stand up straight, pull in your abdominal muscles. Try to keep your knees at next to each other. Now relax your shoulders, as you hold your leg in the best position you will feel a modest pull along the front of your thigh and hip.
- Now breathe deeply, hold the stretch for 25-35 seconds, release and repeat on the other leg, this time keeping your ankle with your right hand.
Standing Calf Stretch
The calf, or gastrocnemius exercise, muscle runs with the back of your lower leg and is in continuous use while running up and down on the soccer field. Muscles in the calves can become merely fatigued, and can also pull or tear in unfortunate situations. Because of this, stretching your calves before any soccer match is is very important.
- You have to stand 12 inches away from the wall and stand like you face a wall
- Now extend one leg behind you, keeping both feet flat on the floor and your rear knee straight.
- Then lean next to the wall until you feel the tension in the calf muscle of the extended leg.
- Hold for 10-15 seconds.
- Repeat with the other leg.